Experienced web developer with an entrepreneurial spirit and eager to turn ideas into working solutions. I am continuously learning best practices for creating high performance web applications.
- Created TVstats.com, a Software as a Service (SaaS) resource for television stations where I develop database-driven applications. These services are highly scalable apps served from Google's data centers. Projects include High School Football scores and schedules, weather closings, custom contests, polls, and content management applications.
- Created the first website for WOWK-TV. This was the first commercial television station in the state to have a site in 1995.
- Spoke at the World Media Expo / National Association of Broadcasters Convention in New Orleans on how to create a successful Internet presence for Television/Radio broadcast stations. Also spoke at the WV Associated Press Convention on the same topic.
- Won an Emmy from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for shooting a documentary on rural health care in West Virginia.
- Won 1st Place Best Spot News by the WV Associated Press for covering the violence during the coal mine strikes.
- Freelance video work for ESPN, ABC News, USA Network, plus several live satellite shots for CBS News and CNN during breaking news events.
- Started a video production company in which one of the projects was producing an hour-long television show for Miss Americas, benefiting the Boys and Girls Club of America.
Java Developer II
Vanderbilt University Medical Center - Nashville, TN
November 2012 - Present
- Member of a team developing innovative applications for information-based patient care.
- Technologies include Java, Spring, Hibernate, Python, JUnit, AngularJS, JSON.
Advanced Application Developer
LifeWay Christian Resources - Nashville, TN
November 2001 - Oct 2012
- Lead Developer for the LifewayWorship.com project. (Spring, Hibernate, Java).
National Computer Services - Nashville, TN
July 2001 - October 2001
Senior Internet Developer
Acymtech - Nashville, TN
April 2000 - July 2001
- Used Microsoft ASP and VB components for projects on LifeWayStores.com site. Worked with Site Server to add additional customization to online store promotions and create administrative backend sides for maintaining these over their Intranet. This site uses both Sybase and SQL Server databases.
- Developed with ColdFusion and SQL Server to create interactive and data-driven forms on project for Orion Solutions. This application streamlined the workflow for selling flood insurance.
- Developed content administration application using ColdFusion to allow for the easy maintenance and update of content for the Center for Jewish Awareness site. Allows staff to enter their weekly newsletter and any news & events that they wish published to the site.
- Update and maintain additional client sites as requested.
Econotech - Nashville, TN
Feb 1999 - April 2000
- Created web applications for LifeWay Stores using ASP and VB components. One project allowed customers to rate products on the site. Administrators could view these ratings and approve them for publishing to the site through the admin interface. VB components were used to interact with the database.
- Developed with ColdFusion and SQL Server to create interactive and data-driven forms on project for First American National Bank. This application greatly increased productivity for Sales Reps, Financial Consultants and Tellers by managing the business workflow and printing the proper forms depending on the business logic. The "intelligence" of the application enabled less qualified bank personnel to sell sophisticated financial products.
- Consulted with client ( www.pencils.net) to determine site redesign and functionality. New site functionality allowed 80+ year old wooden pencil manufacturer to provide username/password protected access to multi-level pricing for existing clients.
- Streamlined pages and images on the Econotech website to dramatically speed up load time. Converted unnecessarily large animated images into Flash, which improved page loading time.
- Created a web-based Timesheet tracking application utilizing ColdFusion and SQL Server. Allowed consultants to enter their billable and non-billable time for projects, while management could then view all billed time per project. Also allowed for clients to login and view the current hours billed and timesheet details of their projects.
Deloitte & Touche Consulting - Nashville, TN
Oct 1998 - Feb 1999
- Successfully provided Fortune 500 companies with many Internet/Intranet solutions for their business needs.
- Developed dynamic, data-driven sites, (utilizing Microsoft's Active Server Pages technology, Visual Basic 6, and SQL Server). These sites greatly reduce cost and time in making data accessible instantly over web browsers.
- Created an application on Bridgestone/Firestone's Intranet using ASP and SQL Server where sales personnel can search and view sales statistics of dealers by state/county/city, etc. This automated a previously manual process.
- Developed an Internet Press Release publishing application in ASP for Deloitte, which allowed PR personnel to enter press releases into the system, where an administrator could then flag releases to be online or offline for their site.
- Updated and maintained some of Deloitte's internal and external sites (such as deloitte.com, dttus.com, and their site in Argentina) according to specifications sent from their NY office.
Fruit of the Loom - Nashville, TN
Nov 1997 - Oct 1998
- Created and designed new and interactive Internet sites for Electronic Commerce using NetDynamics, ColdFusion, Access, Paint Shop Pro and other programs.
- Handled Webmaster duties for Fruit of the Loom, which included maintaining and updating several sites, including:
- Created and updated areas for internal use on FTL Systems, Inc. and Fruit of the Loom's Intranets, which include online reporting and databases.
- Also maintain several Internet sites for Fruit of the Loom's distributors that have online ordering capabilities.
- Help train clients with their new Internet sites, troubleshoot any bugs, and help make the sites user-friendly.
Webmaster / Computer Manager / TV News Photographer
WOWK-TV - Huntington-Charleston, WV
July 1985 - Nov 1997
- Created the station's first Internet site - which was also the first commercial television station website in the state. Created HTML pages, cgi scripts, forms, images, and other items for the site. Used the latest Internet languages and technologies to create exciting, useful and easy-to-navigate pages.
- Maintained and updated Unix-based Avid/Basys newsroom computer system. Added and trained new users to the system. Troubleshoot any problems.
- Senior News Photographer using Sony Betacam to shoot several daily news stories, plus special series. Covered many stories and people, including President Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, and Vice President Dan Quayle. Events included Fiesta Bowl, college basketball conference tournaments, and drug raids.
- Shoot live shots on a routine basis - both microwave and satellite. Setup microwave live shots solo. Also shoot many live shots from the station's news helicopter - Chopper 13.
Radio News Announcer
WCAK-FM 92.7 - Ashland, KY
August 1984 - July 1985
- Anchored live afternoon newscasts and covered press conferences and other news events for the station. Wrote local news stories for broadcast.
- The station used the Satellite Music Network and newscasts were timed to the second, as the DJ's operated out of another city for national broadcast.
- Broadcast live during High School football and basketball games, helping with the scorebook and providing half-time stats and interviews.
- Operated the audio board and monitored the computer-controlled tape decks which played the commercials at the proper times according to the satellite broadcast. The system operated on two Commodore-64 computers.
Radio News Announcer
WCMI-AM 1340 - Ashland, KY
May 1984 - August 1984
- Anchored afternoon newscasts and covered press conferences and other news events for the station. Wrote local news stories for broadcast.
- Operated the audio board for Disc Jockeys as they were out on live remotes.
1985 - 1987 Marshall University(Huntington, WV) Graduated with a BA in Broadcasting plus a background in Computer Science and Public Relations.
1982 - 1985University of Kentucky.
General courses and computer science.
- WTVF-TV Nashville, TN
- KLAS-TV Las Vegas
- WWBT-TV Richmond, VA
- WBTV-TV Charlotte, NC
- WCSC-TV Charleston, SC
- WTVC-TV Chattanooga, TN
- WRGB-TV Albany, NY
- WKYT-TV Lexington, KY
- VolunteerTV.com Knoxville, TN
- WVNS-TV Bluefield, WV
- WTRF-TV Wheeling, WV
- WBOY-TV Clarksburg, WV
- Grace Baptist Church
- Faith Community Church of the Nazarene
- Musgrave Pencils
- LifeWay Christian Stores
- Deloitte & Touche
- Deloitte & Touche U.S.
- Fruit of the Loom CountryFest '98
- Kings Daughters Medical Center
- Walhonde Tools
- Fruit of the Loom